The Ultimate Guide for Using Video to Deliver Instruction (via MindShift)

Last week I shared a tool that allows teachers to display YouTube videos to their classes in a way that eliminates the clutter of advertising and the distraction of comments and related videos that may be inappropriate for the school setting. But I didn’t address the best ways of using videos to enhance student learning, or the simple question of how to find the best content amid the seemingly endless expanse of online videos. Did you know that people throughout the world are uploading 48 hours of video to YouTube every minute? And that’s just YouTube!

Well, the fine folks over at MindShift (one of my favorite education blogs) have developed this excellent Teachers’ Guide to Using Video. It addresses where to find the best educational content, the difference between instruction and supplemental videos, how to evaluate the usefulness of videos, how to curate content without wasting precious time online, and most importantly, strategies for blending video content into your curriculum to promote deeper learning. The video embedded below is just one example the guide provides for how teachers can use video to inspire inquiry and help students form hypotheses.

What about you? Do you have any go-to websites not mentioned in the guide above that contain awesome educational videos? Leave your comments below.