5 Reasons You Should Consider an Edublog

The district has recently purchased a campus site license from Edublogs that allows 100 Madison teachers to create their own educational blogs.  So far about 20 of those have been snatched up by teachers at the elementary level who signed up for a November 4th professional development workshop on blogging.  The remaining 80 will be given on a first-come, first-serve basis to any K-8 teacher interested in starting a blog as an alternative to a Contribute Web page.  We also hope to get our students blogging at some point in the future.  So why would you want to start your own Edublog?  Here are five reasons:

1. Convenience. Unlike a Contribute Web page, you can edit your blog from home, or anywhere you have an Internet connection.  I like to edit mine while I watch TV on the couch.  Creating posts is also quick and easy.

2. Self-promotion. By creating an Edublog, you provide parents with a window into your classroom, a window filtered by you that you open and close at will.  Create blog posts as frequently as you like, and highlight any events of the day you deem noteworthy.  These posts will also give parents a springboard for discussions about school with their kids.

3. Media literacy. Getting students familiar with the format of a blog promotes Web literacy.  Blogs are everywhere and give voice to a wide array of perspectives and biases.  It’s important for students to understand what a blog is if they are going to be media savvy.

4. Communication. It’s a great communication tool that saves time.  Posting homework assignments and other class information on your blog will cut down on the number emails and phone calls you receive from parents.

5. Get hip. Doesn’t it just sound cool to say to your friends and family, “Yeah, I blog…I’m a blogger”?  Okay, this last one’s up for debate.

Still confused about blogging?  Visit my Web 2.0 page or check out some video tutorials at www.edublogs.org.  If you’re interested in starting a blog this year, be sure to send me an email so that I can get you started and provide you with any support you’ll need.

Fun Fact about Blogs: The average annual income for a professional blogger is $24,000.  They earn their incomes mostly from banner ads that appear on their blogs.  Sorry, our teacher blogs are not ad-supported.

2 thoughts on “5 Reasons You Should Consider an Edublog

1. Bravo to the 20 elementary teachers who took the first step by signing up for the EduBlog Workshop on November 4th! I hope that you’ll find creating an educational blog to be as easy, worthwhile, and fun as I have. I look forward to working with you at the PD Workshop on Election Day! . . . . Ruth Rose (Please feel free to visit my blog at: http://blogs.madisonct.org/roser/)

2. Hi Mike,
    I just wanted to tell everyone that starting a blog is so easy and actually kind of addicting! It’s not hard at all to set up and manage it from your classroom computer or from your computer at home. I have gotten lots of feedback from parents about how easy it is to see what we doing in the classroom. Also, thanks to Mike for helping when I have questions!