Let the Sparks Fly

Adobe has just release a suite of products that have amazing potential when it comes educational applications. In fact, it’s the best educational technology tool I’ve come across in the past year, joining the ranks of the Google Apps suite, WeVideo, Kahoot, and Diigo. It’s called Adobe Spark and consists of three web apps: Spark Page, Spark Post, and Spark Video. They are all easy to use and work on any device–Mac/PC, Chromebook, or Android/iOS. Each has its own mobile app, so you can start a project on one device and finish it on another. Setting up an account is as easy…like a lot of web apps these days, you just log in with your Google username and password. Oh, and it’s free! Here’s a brief overview on each one…

My favorite is probably Spark Page. Compared to the other Spark apps, I see more potential in Page across subjects and grade levels. Basically it allows you to create visual web stories, or the kind of modern, media-rich articles you’ve probably come across on the Web. In addition to text, students can add scrolling images with captions, videos, links, and photo galleries. It’s easier to create than a website, but can be shared across the Web just as easily to reach an authentic audience. And it’s super slick. Here’s an example I made about a global social issue that social studies teachers might have their students examine. Click through to see how it all unfolds. Main 21st Century Capacities: Synthesizing, Analyzing, Design, Imagining, Product Creation, Engaging in Global Issues, Citizenship

Fighting to End Child Labor/Slavery

Next is Spark Post. It allows you to design great looking graphics meant to be posted somewhere on the Web, whether it’s a meme, a flyer, an announcement, an advertisement, cover art, you name it. Here’s another example that serves as a companion to the Spark Page project above. Main 21st Century Capacities:  Design, Product Creation, Presentation, Engaging in Global Issues, Citizenship

Adobe Spark Chocolate

And then there’s Spark Video (formerly Adobe Voice). It’s essentially a digital storytelling app that allows you to create and narrate animated videos that contain images, icons, and text. It’s also easy to use and comes with themes and templates, such as Promote an Idea, Tell What Happened, A Hero’s Journey, Personal Growth, and Teach a Lesson. I haven’t created one yet, but you can visit Spark’s Inspiration Gallery to get some ideas. Main 21st Century Capacities:  Synthesizing, Design, Imagining, Product Creation, Presentation, Engaging in Global Issues, Citizenship, Perserverance

As the year winds down, time is a rare commodity. But if you made it to the bottom of this post, you could probably spare a few more minutes to explore Spark. So if you’re looking to try something new to keep your students engaged at the end of the year, let me know, and I’ll be happy to explore its potential with you.